100% Whole Wheat Bread. Now doesn’t that sound healthy? Well, hello! It’s because it is! This bread is awesomely healthy, easy to make, and cheaper than any store bought whole wheat bread (which usually isn’t truly made with 100% whole wheat flour).
I’ve done a number of bread doughs in the WonderMix, but this was my first time trying a 100% Whole Wheat recipe. Now let me tell ya, this is a VERY heavy dough. After it was all said and done, I had used about 16 cups of whole wheat flour (that’s a lot of flour!) Not once during the kneading process did the WonderMix ever bog down or seem to have any trouble. It kneaded at a consistent speed the whole time and in about 6 minutes I had dough that was ready to raise and bake.
This is an impressive mixer, especially when it comes to making bread dough!
- 6 c. warm water
- ⅔ c. canola oil (or applesauce)
- ⅔ c. honey (or sugar)
- 3 Tbl. Saf Instant yeast
- 3 Tbl. Dough Enhancer
- 3 Tbl. Vital wheat gluten
- 2 Tbl. Salt
- 12-14 c. whole wheat flour
- Using the dough hook and dough divider, pulse together water, oil, honey, yeast, dough enhancer, salt and vital wheat gluten in the WonderMix.
- Turn the dial to speed 2 and add whole wheat flour, one cup at a time, until dough cleans the sides of the bowl and comes up from the bottom. Do not add more flour at this point. Dough should be very sticky.
- Knead on speed 2 for 4-5 minutes or until the gluten has been developed. If dough is still very sticky after 4-5 minutes, add a little more flour.
- Slightly oil hands and counter and turn dough out onto the counter. Divide dough with dough divider into loaves.
- Shape loaves and place in well-greased pans. Cover and let rise until doubled. [For for a quick raise, you can preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then turn the oven off. Put loaves in oven and let rise until doubled].
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until inside temperature of bread is 180 degrees (use instant read thermometer). Yields 5 large loaves or 6 medium loaves.